My favorite part of the autumn season is decorating! To be more specific, decorating in preparation for Halloween is my favorite activity of the entire year. So, today I’ll show you how to make my absolute favorite Halloween decoration: Cheesecloth Ghosts!
What You’ll Need
These cheesecloth ghosts are adorable and very easy to make. Here’s a list of the supplies you’ll need:
- Mod Podge (or liquid starch if you prefer)
- Tall bottle
- Balloons or styrofoam balls
- Structural support for the cheesecloth (floral wire, broken wire hanger, etc.)
- (Optional) Black fabric or paper to make eyes out of and glue to attach them
- Use the bottle and balloons or styrofoam balls to create the shape for the center of the ghost. Tape the balloon/ball on top of the bottle to look like a head on a body. Ensure it’s as secure as possible, so it doesn’t fall apart when you put the cheesecloth on top.
- Wrap your wire around the neck of the bottle and bend it to look like arms.
- Create a mixture of one part water and two parts mod podge. Stir it well.
- Place the cheesecloth carefully over your balloon/ball to measure how much fabric you’ll need. Cut off any excess (Pro-tip: doing a double-layer will help stabilize).
- After you’ve cut your cheesecloth to the appropriate size, fold it up and gently dip and roll it in the mod podge mixture.
- Lightly squeeze it to get rid of any excess, but remember, the more of your mixture there is in the ghost, the better it’ll keep its shape.
- Gently unfold the cheesecloth and drape it over your bottle supports. Then, quickly and gently, arrange it to look the way you want.
- Dry overnight.
- (Optional) Cut out the black fabric or paper into ovals and glue them on as the ghost’s eyes.
- Place around your home as your new favorite decoration!
I hope you have a great time making these fun decorations! To find some more fun autumn activities, check out our blog!